For online therapy sessions (group, individual, relationship and family), our goal is to provide an affirming therapeutic environment for all of our telehealth clients. We use Google Meet for online therapy sessions, and encourage telehealth / online clients to use the available fields & tools in Google to display a name and/or pronouns that help you feel heard and honored during online therapy sessions. Customizing / changing your name in Google can also be helpful (1) if another person is using your Google account for their video meeting, (2) if you want to update your first and/or last name after changing them, or (3) if you want to use a nickname or alias for privacy reasons.
These instructions share info on how to:
- modify your Display Name for Google Meet online therapy sessions
- use the Google Nickname field to either (1) add a Preferred Name (Nickname) alongside your Display Name, or (2) display your pronouns alongside your Display Name
Your Account Name in Google is your default Display Name for Google Meet online therapy sessions; it’s what others see alongside the “square” with your live video or display image. The good news is that you can change the Account Name as often as you’d like, to create a different / preferred Display Name for Google Meet online therapy sessions. You can also use the Nickname field in Google to add your pronouns or a Preferred Name to your Account (Display) Name for Google Meet online therapy sessions.
Changing Your Display Name for Google Meet Therapy Sessions
- Open the Chrome browser. (If you’re using a different browser, go to https://myaccount.google.com/name for easy access to your account name page).
- In the upper-right corner of the browser window, click on the three vertical dots.
- From the drop-down menu, click on “Settings.” This opens a new page.
- Find “Manage Your Google Account” and select it; a new page will appear.
- On the left menu, click on “Personal Info; a new page will appear.
- Click on the “Name” field. Re-enter your password if prompted for it.
- Type in / modify the “First Name” and/or “Last Name” field(s) to display your name as you would like it to appear.
- Click the “Save” button.
Google Meet will now display your new Account Name during online therapy sessions.
Using the Google Nickname Field to Display Pronouns or Preferred Name for Google Meet Therapy Sessions
You can use the Nickname field on the Name page in Account Settings to display a preferred name, or to display your pronouns for Google Meet online therapy sessions. Both options can be helpful to let people know how to address you during online therapy sessions. Use this option only if you are OK with your Display Name (which is the same as your Account Name) also being visible to other session participants.
- Go to your account page on Google (see above) and sign into your account if necessary.
- Click the Name row under Basic info.
- Click the pencil icon under Nickname.
- Enter a nickname into the Nickname field.
- Click Save.
- Click “Display Name As”.
Note: IntraSpectrum Counseling uses Google Meet for all telehealth / online therapy sessions (group, individual, relationship and family). You will need an active Google account in order to access and use Google Meet.